Preventing Tenant Displacement & Preserving Affordable Housing
Gentrification has swept through working class neighborhoods in Brooklyn. In the past decade, thousands of affordable housing units have been lost, displacing tenants who have lived in their neighborhoods for generations, splitting families apart, and forever altering the fabric of these communities.
When affordable housing does exist, some tenants are forced to live in deplorable conditions imposed by neglectful or absentee landlords.
We believe tenants have a right to livable conditions in affordable homes, and we believe in the power of collective action. For decades, IMPACCT Brooklyn has worked steadfastly to ensure justice for tenants and livable, united communities.
Frequently asked questions about affordable housing for tenants
IMPACCT Brooklyn helps tenants stand up for their rights and fight landlord harassment, unsafe and unhealthy living conditions, and unfair evictions. We make sure tenants know their rights, and help them advocate for themselves to improve their living conditions and save their homes. Our services focus on:
- One-on-one counseling
- Free legal help in our legal clinics
- Tenants rights workshops
- Lead testing and related services
- Eviction prevention
- Landlord/tenant issues
IMPACCT Brooklyn has seen a spike in landlord neglect and harassment. When this happens, we step in to organize tenant associations, putting residents in a stronger position to demand repairs and maintenance for their apartments and their buildings.
We do this by:
- Organizing tenant associations
- Negotiating to restore utilities
- Convening a Tenants’ Rights Leadership Group that meets monthly
- Advocates to change housing laws and lead coalitions to address tenant and housing issues citywide
Want to know your rights when it comes to housing law? Get free legal advice from lawyers who know about housing issues. You’ll come out of the session feeling more confident about what can be done about your landlord issues, a clear understanding of your rights, and specific actions that you can take to remedy your problem.
- Confidential 30-minute session.
- Meet one-on-one with a lawyer who understands landlord issues and how to address them.
- Learn what rights you have and what you can do to address your situation.
1124 FULTON STREET
- Between Classon and Franklin Avenues
- 1st Wednesday of every month, 6:00 pm, by appointment only.
226 LEFFERTS PLACE
- Corner of Franklin Avenue in Bed Stuy
- 3rd Thursday of every month, 6:00 pm, by appointment only.
We work closely with Property management companies to insure tenants requests are being followed up on.
Sign up for housing news & updates
"*" indicates required fields