Find a Rental You Can Afford
Living below the poverty line impacts every aspect of a person’s life. It can affect your mental health, physical health, and the ability to cope with daily problems.
For people who are struggling to move out of poverty and dependence, our Affordable Housing team can help. We can assist you in applying for New York City’s housing lotteries and teach you how to improve your chances! We give people the break they need to regroup and get back on track with their lives.
Frequently asked questions about affordable housing for apartment seekers.
Tenants for affordable housing units are often chosen by a lottery process. To enter your name in the lottery, you have to fill out an application form for each building that you want to apply for. Preference may be given to:
- People who already live in the area
- Employees of the City of New York
- Residents who are physically, visually or hearing disabled
- Make sure your credit rating is good. You can get a free credit rating and credit report annualcreditreport.com
- Pay all your bills on time
- Open a savings and checking account
- Save enough money to cover the first month’s rent and security deposit
- The address you mail the application to WILL NOT be the address of the housing
- Follow instructions exactly. Details matter, including the kind of envelope you use to mail the application
- Include all required documents
- Submit only one application per household
- Keep watching the housing sites or sign up for housing mailing lists. If you aren’t chosen for one development, you can still apply for another
Applications are available through 3rd party entities and are not IMPACCT Brooklyn applications. We cannot provide updates on application status
Sign up for housing news & updates
"*" indicates required fields