IMPACCT Brooklyn is one of Brooklyn’s premier nonprofit community development corporations providing services borough-wide. The organization works hand-in-hand with low- and moderate-income community members and stakeholders to preserve and develop affordable housing, promote commercial revitalization to strengthen local businesses, create homeownership opportunities, protect tenant rights, combat predatory lending practices and prevent home-loss. Founded as Pratt Area Community Council, Inc. nearly 60 years ago, IMPACCT Brooklyn now serves as a catalyst for neighborhood stabilization and revitalization with a focus on Central Brooklyn and has brought people together to build an equitable, diverse, engaged, and flourishing community.
IMPACCT Brooklyn’s Housing Development Department works to create and rehabilitate affordable and supportive housing. Since the early 1980s IMPACCT Brooklyn has developed more than 1,000 units of affordable and supportive housing. IMPACCT Brooklyn works with third-party property managers for the leasing, monitoring, and care of its properties. The organization has a vision of being the best nonprofit affordable and supportive housing owner in Brooklyn. IMPACCT Brooklyn has a robust and active pipeline to develop additional units of housing in the community, having recently won low-income housing tax credit awards and RFPs with the City and State of New York.
IMPACCT Brooklyn seeks a full-time Director of Housing Development to join our Leadership Team. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Housing Development is responsible for overseeing all phases of real estate development from project inception through construction and occupancy. The Director of Housing Development will have a vital role in IMPACCT Brooklyn’s collaborative and inclusive culture and will work closely with the Executive Director and the senior management team.
IMPACCT Brooklyn is searching for a candidate who is passionate about the organization’s work and has the ability to work with the Board and staff in a collegial, supportive, and direct manner. The Director of Housing Development will necessarily be a recognized member of the affordable housing community who can work closely with both internal and external stakeholders. The candidate will most likely have substantial experience in the nonprofit affordable housing, government, asset management, real estate and/or microfinance and housing finance arenas and must demonstrate significant accomplishments and past successes. In addition, he or she must be a hands-on manager, a strategic thinker and planner, a problem solver and be able to respond to crises and changing conditions quickly and effectively.
The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands-on management style, have an ability to listen, and be inclusive of ideas. In addition, he or she will be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
UNIQUE OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE
- Role in an established and politically connected Brooklyn-based nonprofit community development corporation with a vibrant culture and supportive work environment;
- Prominent position both within IMPACCT Brooklyn and in the affordable housing development community in New York City;
- Opportunity to build a team of mission-driven, hardworking, and dedicated real estate professionals;
- Management of a large and diverse affordable housing portfolio and pipeline;
- Opportunity to work on impactful projects that provide essential affordable housing to low-income households; and
- Flexible work-from-home schedule.
- Serve as key member of IMPACCT Brooklyn’s Leadership Team, which includes the Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Development Officer, Director of Programs, Director of Asset Management and Marketing, and Human Resources Manager;
- Assist Executive Director and serve as staff liaison to the Board of Directors’ Housing and Real Estate Committees;
- Hire, train, manage, and supervise a team of real estate professionals who will be tasked with the development of affordable housing projects;
- Lead in preparation of proposals for housing and community development projects;
- Coordinate real estate development projects, from initial planning through construction completion, including the new construction and rehabilitation of affordable multifamily rental buildings, supportive housing, commercial properties, and community facilities;
- Coordinate IMPACCT Brooklyn’s real estate development team, which includes consultants, architects, contractors, etc.;
- Identify potential development sites through brokers, government agencies and local and citywide politicians;
- Respond to RFQs and RFPs for sites and discretionary funding issued by government agencies;
- Lead in the analysis of potential development sites, including land use, site capacity, target population, program elements, and financial feasibility;
- Coordinate project financing: Feasibility, securing commitments, bringing to a construction and permanent closing;
- Assist in analysis of community needs in terms of housing and quality of life issues; assist in formulation of policies and initiatives to meet these needs;
- Work closely with and coordinate activity with the Marketing and Leasing Department; and
- Coordinate the transition of buildings from development to asset and property management at the completion of construction.
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s degree in related field a plus;
- Five or more years of work experience in housing development or related areas (urban planning, architecture, construction, finance);
- Familiarity with housing programs and policies at City, State & Federal levels;
- Two or more years of supervisory experience;
- Experience with project and program coordination with clients, consultants, and collaborators;
- Experience with loan underwriting, project feasibility analysis, and urban design;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, computer expertise, the ability to multitask and work independently; and
- Experience working with minority and low-income populations, as well as knowledge of New York City and major policy issues related to affordable housing and community development.
The Director of Housing Development will directly supervise of a team of Project Managers and/or Real Estate Analysts and is responsible for performance management, training, and hiring.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. IMPACCT Brooklyn, adheres to COVID-19 protocols.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is often required to stand or walk for extended periods of time. Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. The ability to cope with and tolerate moderate levels of stress is also a necessity. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee may be required to travel to other facilities.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time exempt position. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and evenings as necessary. The schedule is currently hybrid with a requirement that the employee spend at least two days per week in the office and additional time as needed. Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area travel may be expected.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Our Comprehensive Benefits: Hybrid work schedules; competitive pay; paid time off including vacation, personal, and holidays; 403(b); tuition reimbursement; Flexible Spending Account; medical insurance; Employee Assistance Program; and other fringe benefits.
Annual Salary Range: $100,000 to $150,000
To Apply: Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please indicate “DIRECTOR OF HOUSING DEVELOPMENT” on the subject line.
IMPACCT Brooklyn and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity Employers and provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. IMPACCT Brooklyn makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs.